Lviv is one of the most popular cities among tourists in Western Ukraine.
Even despite the current situation in Ukraine, Lviv continues to live, joyfully accepting migrants and tourists.
About the life in Lviv
– Lviv is an exeptional city that carries history and modernity at the same time. How satisfied are the local residents with the level of city development?
In my opinion, Lviv is developing in the right direction. The best conditions are created in the tourism and IT areas, these are advanced sectors of the economy.
- In connection with the current situation a huge number of migrants went to Western Ukraine. How many people came to Lviv?
Now about 250 thousand of forced migrants live in the Lviv region, most of them live in Lviv. But during the worst period, at the end of March, there were even 500,000 IDPs in the Lviv region.
- Due to rocket attacks, there are power outages in every corner of Ukraine. How does Lviv live during a blackout? Is the government preparing for a blackout?
Fortunately, in Lviv, the situation with electricity is somewhat better compared to many other cities in Ukraine. But, of course, blackouts happen regularly.
The city is offering subsidies to businesses and residents to purchase generators.
At the request of residents, wood-burning stoves can be installed in the basements of houses. So-called "unbreakable points" are being equipped, where during a possible complete blackout it will be possible to warm up, recharge the phone, get access to water, a toilet, etc.
Tourism and architectural sights of Lviv
– Despite the hard times, tourists continue visiting Ukraine. Do people come to Lviv for tourism now? Are there any foreigners among the tourists?
Yes, in spite of everything, a certain number of tourists still come to Lviv. For some of them, the tourism is not the main purpose of their arrival. I mean foreign volunteers and benefactors or Ukrainian citizens who came on business, for example, to take part in a medical conference or get acquainted with the city where they plan to send their child to study. But sometimes you can even meet a small group of Polish tourists.
– What sights and historical places should be visited in Lviv by every tourist? What architectural landmarks is the city famous for?
Rynok Square, Opera House, Armenian Church, St. George's Cathedral, High Castle Mountain (now unavailable), Boim Chapel, Arsenal Museum of Weapons (now unavailable), Italian Courtyard, Lychakiv Cemetery, Garrison temple and its dungeon, Dominican church, The Assumption Cathedral, Latin Cathedral, Church of St. Andrew, The most expensive restaurant in Galicia "Masons", restaurant-museum "Gas lamp", Rebernia, Kryivka.
- Are there free entertainment for tourists that are really worthy of attention? For example, museums, exhibitions, etc.?
I definitely recommend visiting the following free places: the new fountain in front of the Opera House, the Volchok Art Center (contemporary art exhibitions), the Municipal Art Center, organ music in the Latin pulpit (during Mass), Bald Mountain (short climb), «Heavenly Hundred» Memorial ( viewing terraces and thinking about the history of Ukraine), the courtyard of the Benedictine monastery, the observation deck near the hotel "Citadel", the observation deck of the shopping center "Vernissage", the Pharmacy-Museum under the "Black Eagle" (trading floor), Stryisky Park, "House of Rescued Animals".
- What paid entertainment would you recommend to visit and get unforgettable impressions of the city?
I recommend climbing the Town Hall Tower (now unavailable), the dungeon of the Garrison Church, the ethnographic complex "Shevchenkivska Grove", the Pototski Palace, the Lviv Art Gallery in the Lozinsky Palace, the Lvivarnya Brewery Museum, the updated Museum of the History of Lviv in Cherny Kamenitse, Museum of Modernism, Oceanarium, Museum of Transport "Retro Garage", Museum of Ethnography and Artistic Crafts (now unavailable), Museum "Ancient Lviv", riding through the streets of old Lviv on a horse-drawn carriage, city tour on " Miracle train" (excursion tram).
– When is the tourist season in Lviv?
Usually, the tourist season in Lviv lasts from mid-March to early November, as well as the New Year and Christmas period.
- What is the approximate cost of one nice day in Lviv for a guest who came to visit the city?
Of course, there are budget tourists, and there are those who do not save money. Therefore, the cost of a day for a guest can fluctuate significantly. But I think on average it is 3000 UAH for one busy day in Lviv.
- Question to a tourist: What is your ideal day in Lviv?
For breakfast, I would visit the Bachevsky Restaurant for a buffet, then a walk along Rynok Square, quarters of medieval Lviv and Svobody Avenue (where the monument to Taras Shevchenko and the Opera House are located). At 12:00 I would listen to the “Melody of the City” performed by a Lviv trumpeter, visit several museums and galleries, dine at the “Masons” (or at the Gas Lamp, Rebernia or Krievka), drink sealed coffee at Kopi Coffee. In the evening I would go to a performance at the Opera House (or another theater, Lviv is a very theatrical city) or a concert at the “Pravda” Beer Theater or jazz performance in a cafe “Apartment 35”.